Thursday, December 2, 2010

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas...

It's Thursday, time for blog updates!



First of all, I have come across a great new 2011 Challenge I want you all to participate in with me. It's very simple, really, just read as many books (mostly YA) that you can with over 350 pages in 2011. Ashley over at What's Your Story asked me to join in and I am glad to accept the Challenge!

I didn't have to make a list, and I'm glad, I have been avoiding some of my thicker tomes lately. The books I do read will be under the Challenges tab after 2010 comes to it's official close.

Second, anyone notice the new look?! I am loving it and can't believe how much work it is to use template. I'm sure it's easy for the average person, but I am technologically-deficient. Let me know if there is anything else I could include to make viewing my blog that much more pleasing and easy!

And now...

Hey y’all! Happy December! I love Christmas, and books, though Santa himself wouldn’t want to check my wish list twice.

One week I asked my SHS entrants to tell me the top five books they want for Christmas, I am going to do the same, but with a slightly longer (slightly?) list.

One of the best parts of being a blogger, or reading blogs, is seeing new books, easy to skim through and pretty to look at, so I don’t want to skimp on you, but I do want some kind of “rank” or order here, so let’s start with a top five, then a top ten, top twenty ect.

My top five, most wanted books for Christmas are:

Tempestuous by Lesley Livingston


Why: It’s the third book in the Wondrous Strange Fey series. It’s based off of The Tempest, my favorite of Shakespeare's love story and bares the most beautiful cover of the series IMO.

Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Why: I’ve been talking to Beth via her blog, twitter and Facebook, I love the journey she has been on to publish one of her books and I can’t wait to read about Amy’s journey this January.

Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by David Leviathan and Rachel Cohn

Why: I believe you should read fantastic Christmas love stories at Christmas. Plus, are you seeing this cover?!

Love And War by John and Stasi Eldredge

Why: Good topic. I love Captivating by John and Stasi and recommend it to any woman!

Fairies and the Quest for Neverland by Gail Carson Levine

Why: I love this series, I love Gail, but most of all, I LOVE the name Gwendolyn.

Now we continue on to the top ten!

Forest Born by Shannon Hale

Why: The Books of Bayern is one of my favorite series, Goose Girl was my favorite book until Lisa Klein’s Ophelia came along.

Beyond the Soiled Curtain by David Grant

This Immoral Trade by Baroness Caroline Cox

The Strength of Mercy by Jan Beazely


Why These Three: Breaks your heart, doesn’t it? But don’t turn away, do something to help them. I want to read these to prepare myself for the work God has called me to in life.

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Why: This book has been getting rav-reviews, is a Contemp Author book, a 2010 debut and seems to have a unique plot.

A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn

Why: This cover only! It’s Alex Flinn, hello, the question is- why not?!

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

Why: This book has been on my wish list forever, and now blogger friends, and author friends, are Rec’in it left and right! Must read!

Next, the top twenty AKA too many books, too little time (money)

Ruined by Simone Elkeles

Why: had no interest in reading the books until this cover, but come on. Can you spell hot? R-U-I-N-E-D, yes, I can!

I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan

Why: I love the plot for this one, I think it’s unique, spunky and everything I’ve been wanting to read. 2010 deb doesn’t hurt.

Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford

Why: Another original plot, good reviews, and I’ve heard that the way the book is written is very intriguing. I want to find out!

Jane by April Lindner

Why: I am planning to read Jane Eyre and Jane at the same time, I really want to take advantage of that opportunity soon!

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Why: Gotta get another shot of the Fuentes boys.

XVI by Julia Karr

Why: dysopian.

Cate of the Lost Colony by Lisa Klein

Why: Klein.

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June by Robin Benway

Why: I have always wanted an author to name her characters April, May and June, it was just lucky for me Benway was the one to do it!

Return to Paradise by Simone Elkeles

Why: I am one of the few fans of how Leaving Paradise ended, I want to see what happens now.

Gold Cord by Amy Carmichael

Why: Amy Carmichael is my heroine.

And Finally, the complete Top 25!

Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Why: Sirens, that’s why!

So Shelley by Ty Roth

Why: 2011 deb, gorgeous cover, great title, if the writing is just as awesome you can bet on a good review!

Sing Me To Sleep by Angela Morrison

Why: I love books that revolve around music.

A Brief History of Robin Hood by Nigel Cawthorne

Why: May have something to do with the book I’m writing.

Anxious Hearts by Tucker Shaw

Why: The poem Evangeline by Longfellow is one of the many reasons I hope to one day name a daughter Evangeline.

Gabrielle's bookshelf: currently-reading

Go Ask AliceWuthering HeightsEclipseWicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the WestRedeeming LoveTwo-way Street

More of Gabrielle's books »
Gabrielle's currently-reading book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

No comments: