Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 Author Wrap-Up with Claire Legrand

Claire Legrand is the debut MG author of The Cavendish Home For Boys and Girls and she's hear to tell us all about what 2013 will bring her. 

GC: What is the best book you read in 2012?


CL: Oy, that's a hard one, as I've read so many spectacular books this year. I think I'll have to go with Kristin Cashore's Bitterblue, as her Seven Realms novels are some of my absolute all-time favorites! This is a book I stayed up all night to read, and though it left me exhausted and bleary-eyed the next day, it was TOTALLY worth it. (You can, by the way, if you so desire, check out my and UNICORN's joint review of Bitterblue on my blog. Yeah, I have a unicorn. Booyah!)

GC: What was your favorite thing you wrote in 2012? 

CL: I think I'll have to go with my second novel, The Year of Shadows. Writing this book was an artistic challenge, as it's written in 1st person, and my default is to write in 3rd person. It's also an incredibly personal book for me, and I'm pretty darn proud of how it turned out. I can't wait to share it with readers!

GC: What was your biggest writing struggle in 2012, and how did you overcome it?


CL: Balance. Finding balance in my writing life -- between the promotion of The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls and multiple deadlines for other projects -- and my personal life was, and probably will always be, the biggest challenge for me as a writer. Another huge challenge for me is to work past self-doubt to have faith in my writing. Hopefully this will get easier with time and experience!

GC: What can readers expect from you in the new year?

CL: 2013 will bring the publication of my second book, The Year of Shadows, for which I'm already thinking up some great, fun promotional activities! Besides that . . . my lips are sealed, for the time being. ;)

GC: Write down your 'Writing Resolution of 2013!'

CL: My Writing Resolution of 2013 is to believe in myself and my writing more. Also, to write, write, write! Lots of projects in the pipeline, and I'm so excited to bring them to life!