Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mod Podge Thoughts (4)


The Great Gatsby

by F. Scott Fitzgerald


Thots:

I loved the idea of the book, but am still unsure about the characters and their portrayal. I felt very removed from the action, seeing the world of West Egg through the eyes of Nick, who had no real stakes in the story.

Why We Broke Up

by Daniel Handler, Illustrated by Maira Kalman


Thots:

Now I enjoyed this one much more than my peers did. I felt that Min was a unique voice in a tragically common situation. Even in her wisdom, Min falls for a guy who just doesn't deserve her and then she tells us her story in such a way that lends the reader to compassion. I think Why We Broke up is a great accomplishment on the part of both Handler & Kalman.

The Liberation of Max McTrue

by Kim Culbertson


Thots:

I blurbed this novella and here is the quote, "Culbertson raised all the right questions, and answered them in turn with three distinctly different voices."

Fracture

by Megan Miranda


Thots:

I didn't think this one was worth its hype. I was bored by the writing and confused by the plot. Other reviewers have had very passionate emotions for this debut, so I suppose I should just say- this was not the book for me.

Rebel Angels

by Libba Bray


Thots:

This sequel did not exceed its precedessor, however I still adore Gemma and this series. It is compulsively readable and I love the excitement of turning the page! I never know what will happen next in the world of the Realms and Spence Academy.

No comments: