Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sweethearts

Title: Sweethearts


Author: Sara Zarr


Publisher: Little, Brown Books


Pages: 217


Read Time: One Day

Tag Words: Best friends, unique dynamics, growing up, the truth of love, BIR11


My Summary: 

'There are things I want to remember about Cameron Quick that I can't entirely, like the pajamas he wore when he used to sleep over and his favorite cereal, or how it felt to hold his hand as we walked home from school in third grade.

I want to remember exactly how we became friends in the first place, a definite starting line that I can visit again, and again.

He's a story I want to know from page one.'


My Review:


It's easy to hide behind a review blog. You develop a persona, the smart one, the mean one, or the one who doesn't know what they're talking about. If you just play your part you can skate by without sharing an iota of yourself, but I don't want to do that.

That's why I'm going to be real with all of you now.

I read this book for a reason. The back cover spoke to me, because I have often spoken the very same sentiments. I wanted this book in-hand, because I've lived this book, and I've loved that boy. Very, very much.

Though my thoughts may be slightly less than impartial, I want to tell you, this book needs to go on your TBR pile post-haste. As someone who has lived out Jennifer's world, nearly to a T, I can say that Zarr perfectly captures that rare and beautiful relationship that falls between true love and true friendship. And wouldn't you know? Sara Zarr once loved that boy, too, in that special way I thought no one could put words to, until now.

Well done.


Notes on the Names:


Jennifer and Cameron, very appropriate for their ages, but nothing that excites me.


Thoughts on the Cover:


It makes me hungry. Why can't more covers be like this? It's simple, sweet how punny and enticing.


Parental Book Review *spoilers*


Sexual Content: 


Moderate.

Talk of drunk hook-ups & some make-out scenes.

Some sexual innuendo.

Cameron sleeps in Jennifer's house, but her parents are careful to set boundaries.


Language: 


Mild


H- 5
A- 4
B- 4
Retard- 3
F- The word is used once and starred out.


Violence:


Heavy.

Cameron's father is abusive.

Kills Cameron's pet.

Cameron's father forces the pair to play "doctor," to prove to him that Cameron isn't gay. They are about eight at the time. Jennifer gets them out of the house by escaping through the window.


Other Notables:

Jennifer stole candy bars to feed her food addiction. 

No comments: