Friday, December 3, 2010

A story about one girls road trip, the detours she takes and the boy who goes with her...

Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson


A story about one girls road trip, the detours she takes and the boy who goes with her...

My review:

I loved it! I am so surprised because I had the hardest time getting on the road with this one. In hindsight, the fact that I was reading an ARC copy with ‘Design TK’ written all over the first pages was what was throwing me, once I got in, I didn’t put the book down!

Matson is a debut author and I was reminded of Sarah Dessen throughout. The central plot, filled with an emotional journey, a climactic reveal and a boy who only supports the changes, instead of being the reason for healing, were all wonderful elements that Matson skillfully wove into her first book.

Matson’s greatest skill is the ability to make you love even the most trivial character. I was amazed at how greatly I cared for all the people Amy and Roger encountered on the road. I usually am not so attached to second-tier characters.

My only problem was the time line seemed so improbable, Amy’s dad only died three months ago, and she heals and moves past things the summer after he was killed. Three months?! I don’t think I could mourn a goldfish in three months!

I really recommend this book to all Sarah Dessen fans, those who love contemporary fiction, those who like a well-balanced plot, this book really has it all, even some wicked hot play lists I’ve built for my own ipod!

Notes on the Names: Amelia and Roger does not have the same ring as Amy and Roger, but I still love Amelia so much! The choice of names was so consistent, a blend of classic, regal and slightly obscure choices were painted throughout. Amelia, Roger, Pamela, Benjamin, Hadley, Bronwen and Lucien. Oh, sigh, can I tell you a secret? I love Roger and all, but I’m Team Lucien...

Thoughts on the Cover: I love this cover! I only have an ARC, but I want a finished copy for the Mod Podge Bookshelf, because all the designs and pictures were still TK in the ARC phase. I wish more model covers were like this, accurately reflecting the soul of the book!
I thought I would make my own play list, in honor of Roger and his skills.

Amy and Rogers Epic Detour AKA When Words Fail AKA Please comment on my review


Young and Beautiful by Carrie Underwood

Magpie in the morning by Neko Case

Nineteen and Crazy by Bomshel

Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol

Get Out of this Town by Carrie Underwood

No one will ever love me by Rebecca Lynn Howard
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again from Phantom of the Opera (in honor of Amy)



No comments: