Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Beautiful Between, it's beautiful, just beautiful!

The Beautiful Between by Alyssa Sheinmel


Connelly Sternin knows where she ranks in the Kingdom of high school. Some might think she is a pauper, the girl on the outside looking in, but Connelly knows the truth, that she is Rapunzel, kept locked away, not knowing the truth of her own past.

If she is a reclusive princess, Jeremy Cole is the crown prince, daring her to let her hair down and learn the truth.

But sometimes, Princes have their own secrets and they can’t save every damsel in distress.

My review:

First of all, I would like to say I think I knocked myself out on that synopsis! If you haven’t been keeping up, I write most all my own summaries because I often find the original will make a book sound too cliche, or completely miss the crux of the plot. That is what happened to The Beautiful Between, so if you have read the summary of this one before, only to be turned off with how cliche and boy-meets-girl the storyline appears, ignore it and let me convince you! Though, I think my little synopsis up there should have done the trick!

The plot is very simple and clear-cut, but at the same time, I fear giving it away. What I can tell you is that if you like a storyline that has no sub-plot battling for space with the book climax then you will really enjoy reading this book. Sheinmel intelligently draws parallels between the two characters conflicts, Connelly’s fantasy life, and her physical world.

Sheinmel shines at writing relashionship’s. The dynamics between the different characters felt authentic, like I was reading about someone’s life. The characters were so original, especially Kate, she’s a real one-in-a-million character.

The only thing I did not like about this book was the casual swearing, even in the tense parts, the words that Sheinmel used seemed foreign coming out of her characters mouths. When they started swearing and using the Lord’s name in vain I thought, “These two are going through some identity crisis, apparently.” It really didn’t fit, else I would have accepted the swearing in the painful, climactic points. Very odd.

Thoughts on the Cover: When I first saw the cover and read the title, I thought that the book would be about the main character stuck between life and death. I still think that this is true, but not in a literal way. I only have an ARC and it’s in bad condition, I can’t wait to have a hardback!

Notes on the Names: I didn’t like Connelly, I wanted something more princessey; not frilly, but not so manly. I did love the conversation the Cole family had with Connelly about her name and the names of their family. I give Sheinmel bonus points for weaving in the reasons to her choices.

No comments: