Monday, December 31, 2012

The Next Big Thing: Gabrielle Carolina



The Next Big Thing Blog Hop is a chance for authors to tell everyone what they’re working on. An author answers ten questions about her next book, then tags other authors to help spread the word!

Thanks for stopping by!


1. What is your working title of your book?

A Beautiful Face

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

Ever since I first heard Anne Shirley utter those few lines from Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott it was destined that I would one day write this book.


3. What genre does your book fall under?

It is a young adult fantasy!

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Elaine is the most beautiful creature ever. She exists only in my head, but follow the link to glimpse her world. 

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

The Lady of Shalott is transported to a steampunk Camelot when her curse is unleashed upon the legendary land.

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Hopefully represented by an agent! 

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Still working on it...I suspect it will take me much of January and most of February to complete.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Oh, gosh. This is always a hard question, but authors are supposed to be able to answer it for pitching purposes, right? 

Okay, well. 

Hmm. 

I will say the "other" worlds of Splintered by A.G. Howard and the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa are serious inspiration for my world building. I also watch a lot of BBC, so if you like season four of Merlin I would hope you'd like my book and if you like the Camelot musical I think you could really warm up to ABF


9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Anne Shirley. 

Tennyson.

My grandmother. 

My mother. 

The Legends of Camelot.

Nancy Springer's I Am... series. 


Merlin on the BBC. 

Camelot: The Musical

Emilie Autumn's "Shalott"


10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

Besides my amazing Pinterest and fabulous taste in goth-doll music? 

Ok, fine, I get it. You need to be swaaaayyyyed. 

Tough crowd.


Mash up Crewel by Gennifer Albin, Once Upon a Time the TV show and the Legends of Camelot and you've got A Beautiful Face. 

Are your interests piqued yet, dear reader? If so, pass this along! ; )

Who I tagged:

1. Grace @ Words Like Silver
4. Shannon @ Books Devoured

Message for the tagged authors and interested others:

Rules of The Next Big Thing

Use this format for your post

Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (Work In Progress)

Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them. (Include the link of who tagged you and this explanation for the people you have tagged.) 




2 comments:

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Wow I'd love to be a beta reader for your book. You've definitely piqued my interest. And I LOVE Merlin on BBC and Once Upon a Time.

javalotta said...

OMG! You have fantastic taste! I love that story and the painting but your twist on it will be great! I can't wait to read it!;) If you need another Beta reader, please let me know.;)