Tuesday, December 4, 2012

2012 Author Wrap-Up with Trish Doller

Today Trish Doller wraps-up her year in writing with a sneak-peek at her newest project!


GC: What is best book you read in 2012?

TD: I think my favorite book would have to be BITTERBLUE by Kristen Cashore. I'd been holding it in reserve as a reward for when I finished writing my second book and I got so caught up in Bitterblue's story that I read it in one sitting.

GC: What was your favorite thing you wrote in 2012?

TD: I have to admit, my favorite thing is my next book, WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE. Here's a little sneak peek:

I burrow my hand into my hip pocket for money to buy a Coke. Among the coins is a blue painted evil eye bead I’ve had as long as I can remember. The only thing I have from my life before we left Florida. Someone gave it to me, but no matter how hard I stretch my memory I can never touch on who. I only remember that the bead was one of many, strung on an elastic band. And that the first time she saw me wearing it––after we left, I mean––Mom tore it off my wrist, scattering the beads and leaving a thin red weal on my skin. I only rescued the one bead. Twelve years I’ve been hiding it, transferring it from pocket to pocket, place to place. It doesn’t work––evil has a way of finding you even when you think you’re protected––but I keep the bead anyway. Just in case I’m wrong.

GC: What was your biggest writing struggle in 2012, and how did you overcome it?


TD: Writing WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE was really difficult. Not only because I had to focus on the release of SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL, but because my confidence took an enormous hit. I found myself second-guessing every decision, every scene in WTSSS, until I finally decided I need to turn off the industry--and the Internet--and just write.

GC: What can readers expect from you in the new year?

TD: Well, WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE will be out in October 2013 and I'm currently working on a new project that I'm calling EVER SINCE. I can't say much about it because it's not a book yet, but it's set in the Florida Keys, one of the characters is a Rottweiler mix named Ned, and there's a hurricane involved. 

GC: I love rottys and am so glad Ned has found his way into your next novel, Trish! Last bit: Write down your 'Writing Resolution of 2013!'

TD: I resolve to finish EVER SINCE as early in 2013 as possible! 


twitter: @trishdoller

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I love reading interviews! You have an adorable blog, I am now your newest follower! I hope you are having a lovely Tuesday! Stop by for a visit sometime if you get the chance. :)

Leigh Ann
MaMa's Book Corner

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the snippet and the interview! I'm looking forward to Trish's next book. I got an evil eye bracelet as a souvenir from a friend who visited Greece. The elastic band has stretched but maybe I should just carry a bead with me like this character. :P