Wednesday, December 5, 2012

2012 Author Wrap-Up with Laurie Frankel

Today Laurie Frankel, author of Goodbye For Now, is here to tell us why book promoting is harder than actually writing the book.


GC: What is best book you read in 2012?

LF: Julianna Baggott’s Pure. This is a novel that’s smart, well conceived, and well written -- a good combo all around. I read it early in the year, and I still think about it all the time. It’s post-apocalyptic, somewhere between YA and not, the first of a trilogy. It’s not at all the sort of book I usually read, which is why you should believe me when I tell you: it’s an incredible book, and you should read it for sure.

GC: What was your favorite thing you wrote in 2012? (It doesn't have to be book-related, some people sight their query letters, their signature on their marriage contract, etc.)


LF: Well, it’s probably a pretty boring answer, given your clever alternatives, but I finished my second novel, Goodbye For Now, and released it in 2012, so it would be ridiculous if that weren’t my answer. I didn’t get married, have a baby, or write a query letter this year though, so maybe it’s okay.

GC: What was your biggest writing struggle in 2012, and how did you overcome it?

LF: I find book-writing pretty easy and do-able. I find book-promoting much harder. There’s a lot of writing that goes into book promoting that feels disingenuous or like it’s going out into the world never to be heard from again or whose audience is unclear or unknowable. It’s absurd that writing a book sometimes seems easier than writing an email, but that is the case. I’m not sure I have overcome it, but what I’m trying is dedicating a few months here to book-promo rather than book-writing. I’m hoping focusing time, energy, and attention on the former will help me make sure it happens and happens well and that delaying the latter will mean that when I finally get to go back to writing, I’ll be all ready to go.

GC: What can readers expect from you in the new year?

LF: Book number three. I hope, I hope. Probably not out yet but fingers crossed for written. I’ll be blogging about writing it, so readers can check that out in the meantime. 

http://www.lauriefrankel.net/blog

GC: Write down your 'Writing Resolution of 2013!'

LF: Don’t panic.

GC: Good one!

Links:

http://www.lauriefrankel.net
https://www.facebook.com/lauriefrankel.author/app_227702587333042
Twitter: Laurie_Frankel

No comments: