Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mod Podge Thoughts (18)


Ten 


by Gretchen McNeil

Thot: May I suggest that unless you love "teen-speak" and angst in place of a proper plot and true mystery, you read, or re-read the original Agatha Christie novel, And Then There Were None, instead? 

Q: From the "query letter," in this case the jacket copy, and first ten pages, I would have requested a partial and rejected the project from there.

Cover Lover: I do adore this cover. The second-best thing to art covers are Title covers!

Personal Effects 


by E.M. Kokie

Thot: Debut author Kokie sure can pull off a great teen male narrative! While I enjoyed this book, I wish the love interest had gone with the MC on the "journey" as the middle of the book didn't really have enough going on. I think having Shauna along would have led to tons of great, deep scenes where Matt had to come to terms with his family problems. 

Q: Based off the query-letter and first ten pages, I would have requested a partial, then a full. I would have batted around the idea of asking for revisions, but ultimately would have released the project for another agent to fall in love with.

Keeper of the Lost Cities 


by Shannon Messenger

Thot: This is the PERFECT book for its target audience. Reading Keeper made me wish it had been around when I was between the ages of 8-12, because I would have loved it all the more at that age. 

Q: I would have requested a full, then I would have requested a phone call with Shannon. I would love to have Shannon on my list! 

The Spring Before I Met You 


by Sarah Rees Brennan

Thot: This short story made me crave Unspoken, and luckily it arrived on my doorstep soon after! 

Cover Lover: These gothic, shadow box covers are gorgeous, aren't they? I'm telling you- 

Art covers > Model covers.

The Summer Before I Met You 


by Sarah Rees Brennan

Thot: This short made me fall in love with the characters, though I didn't much care about Elizabeth's journey. I'm glad only Kami, Angela & Rusty made it to the actual book, as they're all spirit and spunk, whereas Elizabeth came off as a wet blanket. 


No comments: