Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mod Podge Thoughts (17)



Myths & Folklore of Ireland 



by Jeremiah Curtin

Thot: 

The best resource I have come across yet in terms of Celtic mythology and legend. If you're interested in Irish lore and fairytale for any reason, this is the book to pick up. 

Falling Kingdoms 



by Morgan Rhodes

Thot: 

Around page 130 it felt like an entirely new writer was behind the words. It was very odd. I also couldn't stand Cleo, she was about to give me a nose-bleed, I disliked her so greatly. 

Though I was sad I didn't enjoy this book, I was more than happy to not finish it once I started.

Q: 

From the query and first ten pages I would have requested a full, and ultimately would have turned down the project. 

Through To You 



by Emily Hainsworth

Thot: 

Really great, very focused and interesting. I cannot wait to pick up more from this author in the future! Also? She brought magical realism to YA and I love her for it!

Q: 

From the query letter and first ten pages I would have requested a full and probably would have sent her one of those, "It's not you, it's me," rejection letters that burn because though I love it, I don't love it enough.

Cover Lover: 

THIS COVER. It wins. It wins ALL the things. Of its many awards (including, but not limited to, the pretty award and the brilliant-color-usage award) it wins best double-image of the trend and best girl-in-aqua of the trend!

Velveteen 



by Daniel Marks

Thot: 

I wanted to love it, but couldn't for reasons that may not bother you, but Velvet was not for me, the love interest was not for me etc. etc. I wanted it to be a book about revenge, but it became something else that confused me.

Q: 

From the query letter and first ten pages I would have requested a full, and then I would have asked if the author were interested in making major revisions, but ultimately, I don't think this book and I were ever meant to be.

Name Acclaim: 

Velveteen Monroe does win as a heroine's name, though. I think it is fresh, eccentric, and it trips off the tongue! A total imagery win. 

Time Between Us 



by Tamara Ireland Stone

Thot: 

I got bored, I'm sad to say. This one reminded me of a mash-up of Twilight, The Lake House (movie) and the Time Traveler's Wife. I decided I would rather re-watch and re-read the two latter and set TBU down unfinished. 

Q: 

From the query letter and first ten pages I would have rejected the proposal. 

Cover Lover: 

Does this model look like Kiera Knightly to anyone else? Or is it just me?




No comments: