Friday, September 7, 2012

Cover Lover (7): Trilogy Trouble

My name is Gabrielle Carolina, and I am a Cover Lover.

This is my seventh post and I'm finally ready to admit that not all that glitters is gold.

Yes, that's right, I've noticed a trend I would like to bring to your attention:

The third book in a trilogy having a terrible cover.

Let us proceed.


Timeless by Michelle Madow

Why no Love?

I feel this can be succinctly said: 

Mustache.


Fathomless by Jackson Pearce

Why is it fishy? Because we were all expecting another amazing optical illusion like Sisters Red and Sweetly before it, and instead we have this. When I first saw it I figured it had to be the ARC cover and the real cover would swoop in and save the day! No luck. It stuck.


Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Not only did this cover change, but the others did, as well. Now from a marketing standpoint I'm surprised this didn't happen earlier as Across the Universe's cover probably attracted as many boys as a Cosmo magazine with its swoony star kiss, but still. Still. I wouldn't mind the cover switch if this weren't my least favorite of the three, making it a sort of pointless exchange. I also find it ironic that though Beth has commented saying all other ideas would spoil some part of the story we have 'Earth' in this title and leaves on the cover. It doesn't really scream ambiguity to me, except where the reader's gender is concerned.


Reached by Ally Condie

So the red cover we all knew was coming our way has finally emerged. Literally. With the bubble broken all is revealed, and revealed in a shapeless red column dress that looks as if it were attached post-shoot. I was expecting the bubble to be red fragments on the ground, at least have a few scattered about, but the consistently cleanly image trumped all and this cover doesn't sell me one bit. So predictable and so uninspiring. 


Requiem by Lauren Oliver

I have no love for this cover. It is one, too similar to Pandemonium and it is two, a face shot. I make fun of face shots like no one's business, so it shouldn't surprise anyone to see me mock Requiem without remorse in future IMM videos. 

And now, because I hate being a Negative Nellie, here are two book covers that happen to be the third in a trilogy and also happen to be my personal favorites of their respective series.


Boundless by Cynthia Hand


Eternally Yours by Cate Tiernan


2 comments:

Maji Bookshelf said...

aww I agree on a few but I love the cover of Requiem. Reached, Boundless and Endlessly are still good. However I am with you on the new covers for Across the Universe!

great post! I am a cover lover too

- Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Angela's Anxious Life said...

Mustache - enough said!!

Angie
Angela's Anxious Life