Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mod Podge Thoughts (13)

The Fault in Our Stars


by John Green

Thot: Both the biggest surprise and most obvious choice as the dark horse of the NPR Top 100 Teen Books, The Fault in Our Stars is at the fifth best YA novel of all time. It certainly deserves the honor as this book has it all. 

Q: Based off the "query letter" (which is the back-jacket summary for our "Would I Rep It?" purposes) and the first ten pages I would have requested a full and then fought tooth and nail to represent this novel, but really, who wouldn't?!

The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy


by Nikki Loftin

Thot: I adore this book. It is the perfect middle grade novel in my opinion. We've got both fairytale and contemporary in this story for younger readers that does not talk down to its audience at all. In fact the plot is rather dark, but it is also rather redemptive. I would recommend this title to anyone who loved or loves fairytale retellings.

Q: Based off the query letter and first ten pages I would have requested a partial, then a full, then I would have begged for a phone call so I could tell Ms. Loftin how much I adored her book and how greatly I would like to represent her!

Best Exotic Baby Names


by Allison Jones

Thot: Though I loved the idea behind Jones' book I'm just not sure about some of her research. Often I felt she was reaching to supply her thesis. Still, I loved reading about the new names! 

The Little Prince


by Antoine de Saint-Euxpery

Thot: I'm not sure how I missed this book growing up, but I think it's meaning is for an older sort of reader, so in many ways I am glad to have only discovered this title now.

Q: Who wouldn't want to represent this novel? It's one of the most treasured picture books of all time.

Revolution


by Jennifer Donnelly

Thot: Oh! What a fabulous novel. It was a wonderful historical fiction, a fabulous contemporary commentary and an unbelievable fantasy/supernatural! This book was brilliantly woven and unbelievably well-researched.

Q: I wish Jennifer Donnelly was my client. Oh, how I wish it. Her novel, A Northern Light, is one of my very, very favorites, and Revolution did not disappoint my expectations. I doubt Donnelly ever could.


No comments: