Thursday, May 17, 2012

Interview with author Geoff Herbach

Today Geoff Herbert joins me to answer some burning questions about writing and being stranded on a desert island!




GC: Why is it important to write for teens?

GH: Teens need books that are aimed at their concerns or we might lose them as readers (that's a definite fear I have for boys).  There are all kinds of studies that show that good reading habits translate into good performance in college.  I worry boys will be ill-prepared for life without good books for them!

GC: When did you begin writing?

GH: I wrote my first story in 5th grade. It was about hang-gliding ants who ate bratwurst off food carts.  I wrote it on an IBM type-writer (we didn't have a computer, yet).  It took me months and months to write 20 pages.  The story has yet to be published.

GC: You are on a desert island and you will not be rescued. You have food and water for the rest of your life and have fashioned a tree house from banana leaves and pine sap (did I mention the forest has an unusual abundance of trees?) You can only bring one book, one movie, one album and one comic, choose!

GH: Book: Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger -- the book just puts me at peace, I'll need that when the monkeys attack.

Movie: Raiders of the Lost Arc, because of the action.  I may be bored in my banana tree.

Album: Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane over the Sea, because I think it's perfect.

Comic: Just give me some Lynda Barry

GC: What is your favorite knock-knock joke?

GH: You know that interrupting cow knock knock joke?  That's funny!

GC: What's next for you as a writer?

GH: I'm writing the third in the Stupid Fast series (called Sucks to be Me, I believe).  Then I might write a screenplay or two!





No comments: