Friday, December 23, 2011

2011 Wrap-Up with Holly Cupala


HC: Hello, Gabrielle Carolina! Thank you so much for inviting me to The Mod Podge Bookshelf and introducing me to your readers! 
What was the best book you've read all year? Tell me all about it!
HC: Best book I’ve read…tough to pick just one. I’ve loved AUDITION by Stasia Ward Kehoe, and I couldn’t put down THE RIGHT AND THE REAL by Joëlle Anthony, coming in April 2012. I’ve also been catching up on my Agatha Christie mysteries. :)
What was your favorite thing you wrote?
HC: I think some of May’s lines in DON’T BREATHE A WORD (coming January 3rd). She was constantly surprising me with her sass—honestly, I did not know I had a scrappy, vulnerable, funny homeless girl lurking inside of me! 
What was your biggest writing struggle, and how did you overcome it?
HC: One of the things I struggled with most while writing TELL ME A SECRET was my clever and cut-throat internal critic. But I learned I could outsmart her…by outrunning her! I set a timer for 15 minutes and try to write as freely as possible, especially during the difficult first draft. I wrote much of DON’T BREATHE A WORD that way. Since then, I’ve become much better at ignoring her until I need her during the editing process. 
What can we expect from you in the new year?
HC: DON’T BREATHE A WORD is coming January 3rd! It’s about a suburban girl, Joy, who runs away from home to escape her powerful and secretly abusive boyfriend. She flees to the streets of Seattle, where she comes under the protection of a group of homeless teens, including dreamy musician Creed. When one of her new friends’ lives is in danger, she must choose whether to stay silent and safe or go home to face the abuse—and lose Creed.  
Also I’m working on a new young adult novel, about more secrets of course! 
Write down your 'Writing Resolution of 2012!'
HC: For the last few years, my resolution has been to release my to-do list to the Higher Power of To-Do Lists, then tackle it one speck at a time. The biggest writing speck is to finish the aforementioned new novel... 
Thank you, Gabrielle Carolina, and I hope your readers enjoy DON’T BREATHE A WORD! 



1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Okay, now I have to read Don't Breathe a Word. That is all.