Thursday, December 22, 2011

2011 Author Wrap-Up with Gabrielle Carolina

What was the best book you've read all year?

GC: I read Jellicoe Road this year, along with a smashing host of other wonderful novels. I'll be Vlogging about them all soon. However, I read Jellicoe Road twice. I feel that says something in and of itself, that you want to walk back into a world you have so recently inhabited, even with thousands more out there for you.

What was your favorite thing you wrote? 

GC: My very favorite thing? My novel. I could quote for you the line from the book I love most, though it would be followed up by about fifty other "runner ups." Really, the book as a whole is what meant the most to me. It's a contemporary, which I will be querying as an adult novel, and it explores the gray areas of three best friends as they live a very unique life inside a music production studio that they run together.

What was your biggest writing struggle, and how did you overcome it?

GC: My biggest writing struggle was trying to figure out how to fix my YA novel. I rewrote it twice this year. Finally, I learned, I had to start over from page one, and try again with a new setting, several, in fact, and write it from first person. It's been a rewarding experience. I've written as much as I previously wrote in a year in a matter of weeks. This time, I think I got it right. Write? Right. 

What can we expect from you in the new year?

GC: For me to query both novels. Past that, it's all up to God, fate and perfect timing. I'll also be writing my first YA contemp, and possibly an adult historical fiction highly influenced by the Bronte sisters that explores women in art and women as artists.

Write down your 'Writing Resolution of 2012!'

GC: Be fearless... I think I'm going to make that my all-over resolution. 

P.S. Today is my half-birthday!


These are the challenges I will be participating in this year:


2012 Debut Author Challenge


2012 YA Historical Fiction Challenge

No comments: