Friday, October 7, 2011

The Vespertine (ARC)

The Vespertine

Author: Saundra Mitchell

Publisher: Harcourt Children’s Books

Pages: 293

Read Time: Did not finish, stopped around page 160 due to content

Tag Words: Historical Fiction, 2011 Debut Author, ghosts, seance, love story

My Summary:

Amelia has just begun her new life in Baltimore in 1889 when the visions begin.

Her new found supernatural powers make her both an outcast and an interest during a rising interest in the paranormal.

When Amelia meets Nathan, a mysterious artist, she falls in love, but some powers are not what they seem and some people are not as you believe they are.

My Review:

The writing of this book is fantastic. In fact, anything Mitchell writes from here on out, that does not involve occult practices as the main attraction, will go on my reading list!

I chose not to finish this book because Amelia’s abilities became the crux of the novel, with spirits inhabiting people, seances etc. The tone of the book was dark and I just don’t go there.

For those of you who are interested in The Vespertine I would pick it up! I was swept off my feet and choosing not to read on wasn’t a choice made lightly.

Notes on the Names:

Amelia and Nathan, very turn of the century, and now back at the height of fashion!

Thoughts on the Cover:

I am so glad this is the final cover of this book! I love it more than the ARC.

Parental Book Review *spoilers*

Sexual Content:

Mild.

Some Kissing.

Language:

None.

Violence:

Moderate.

Amelia considers putting her arm through a window to kill herself.

Other Notables:

Amelia experiences visions.

Occult properties including seances, readings, and ghosts.

No comments: