Monday, October 10, 2011

Drought (ARC)

Drought

Author: Pam Bachorz

Publisher: EgmontUSA

Pages: 400

Read Time: 4 Days

Tag Words: Dystopia, parallel universe, cults, magic, true love, slavery, fear, breaking free

My Summary:

Ruby dreams of escaping the Congregation. Maybe she would have long ago were it not for their secret of survival... the congregation needs her blood to live.

My Review:

I bet you’ve been reading a lot of bad reviews of this book, right? Yeah, so have I, in fact I took this one over from Reading Teen when it wasn’t quite floating Kit’s boat. I was skeptical, to say the least.

I did like it, maybe I even loved it, but I am so confused by it that I can’t really commit to either emotion.

What is this? Is it a dystopian world, or a parallel universe? Is it suppose to be symbolic and draw parallels to Christianity, therefor mocking my religion, or is it a look into a destructive cult and how being a follower of Christ is so different? And how does Darwin fit in there, because obviously the author was trying to do something with symbolism, these cult members being slaves to a man named Darwin.

I really do not have the answers and I consider myself to be a very intelligent person. I guess I would have to say, hopefully without sounding super prideful, that if I am this conflicted about the motivations behind this novel that maybe somewhere Bachorz jumped the shark in Drought.

I don’t know if I would recommend it, not because it’s bad, but because I can’t decided where I stand on the issue of Drought. Am I thirsting for more? Yes, if only to have some of my questions (hopefully) answered, but will I die without another sip? No, I’ll survive just fine.

Notes on the Names:

Ruby, Sula, Ford, Ellie, Jonah, Hope, Gabe, Earl, Otto, Darwin, Zeke & Boone.

I think they’re cool, what do you think?

Thoughts on the Cover:

I think it embodies the story perfectly, that includes the gritty feeling you get from looking too hard at the misty woods. This isn’t a pretty book, or a pretty cover, but it is perfect.

Parental Book Review *spoilers*

Sexual Content:

Moderate.

Multiple Desperate Kisses.

Language:

Very Mild.

S- 1
D- 2

Violence:

Heavy

Whippings with chains from overseers to members of the congregation.

Slave labor.

Sula receives a very heavy beating from Darwin that Ruby is not a witness to.

The congregants nearly beat Ford to death, killing him was their express intent.

Ruby must cut herself to supply the congregation with blood, which she does multiple times in the story.

Jonah is killed by a fall that snaps his neck and Ellie dies after being denied Ruby’s blood.

Other Notables:

None.

No comments: