Monday, July 25, 2011

The Body Finder

The Body Finder

Author: Kimberly Derting

Publisher: HarperTeen

Pages: 329

Read Time: Two Sittings

Tag Words: Paranormal ability, supernatural ability, morbidity, fascination with the dead, serial killer, police work, true love, best friends, Homecoming

My Summary:

Violet Ambrose can sense the bodies of the murdered, and the imprint of their killers.

Even after death the dead still call out to Violet for closure, or vengeance, or maybe a little bit of both.

When girls start going missing in her home town Violet knows she has to find him, the serial killer, but what she didn’t count on was him looking for her, as well.

My Review:

Sometimes when you’re in a reading slump do you ever pick up a book you know you’re going to love so that you can kind of fall in love with reading again?
That is what I did with Derting’s debut novel, The Body Finder, the first chapter of which I read a long time ago.

It’s no secret I’m not one for the paranormal, but when I saw the awesome reviews roll in I knew I had to check this book out! I was not disappointed and could not stop thinking about the unique writing of Derting on behalf of one Violet Ambrose, curly-haired girl extroidinare!

I picked this one up just in time to refresh my love of adventure stories with unique twists and I cannot wait to read the next three installments, beginning with the sequel, Desires of the Dead.

And the kissing? It was good... books always need more kissing, but this book? Well, it almost filled the quota. ; )

Notes on the Names:

Violet has gotten a major resurgence in recent years, mostly due to the lovely Miss Violet Affleck, sister of Seraphina. I had never considered the name before, because it is so popular, but now I can’t get it out of my mind! Violet, Vi-o-let, Violet... Violet! I love it!

Thoughts on the Cover:

Did you know that the massive tissue-paper flowers were designed by the same man who creates the Victoria Secret Angel wings? Cool, right?

Parental Book Review *spoilers*

A la Reading Teen, thanks Andye!


Sexual Content:

-Moderate


Language:

-Heavy


Violence:

-Heavy


Other Notables:

-Violet can sense the "aura" of people and animals that are murdered.

-“There were just some punk kids in there…smoking.”

-Violet lies to her parents about trying to find the killer.

-Violet and her friends go to a party where there is a lot of heavy drinking and no supervision. “It’s BYOB, but I’m having my older sister buy for us, so if you just pitch in a coupla bucks I’ll take care of the booze.”

-Mention of stoners


No comments: