Friday, June 17, 2011

Across the Universe

Across the Universe

Author: Beth Revis

Publisher: Razor Bill

Pages: 398

Read Time: Two Days

Tag Words: Sci-fi, outer space dystopia, secrets, lies, science, love, trust, fear

My Summary:

Amy was frozen along with her scientist parents and stowed on the Godspeed, the spacecraft set to take a new civilization to a planet 300 light years away.

When Amy is woken up fifty years too early she becomes the anomaly of the citizens aboard her new home. Amy is the red-haired kink in the plans of a web of lies, lies that have been spun longer than anyone would have guessed...

My Review:

When Kiersten White blurbed this book she described it as “Claustrophobic.” I cannot think of a more perfect word for Revis’s brilliant debut.

I loved this book, this is my kind of book with characters who are fallible, relatable and a plot filled with twists that feel natural and authentic, even if I didn’t see them coming.


AtU is also about fifty kinds of subtle, part of that lies in the alternating view points of Amy and Elder. I loved that Amy believes in God, while Elder believes in nothing outside of the walls that have contained him all his life... walls that only reach about six miles.

The love story feels original, but you will have to read it to find out exactly what I mean, I don’t want to spoil a thing for you.

Across a Million Suns, the sequel, is a book I am looking forward to with the fire and heat of a million suns!

Notes on the Names:

Originally this book began, “My name is Elder, which is ironic, as I am the youngest passenger aboard the Godspeed.”

Thoughts on the Cover:

I love this cover. If you don’t love this cover there is something wrong with you.

You know what else I love? This cover:

Parental Book Review *spoilers*



Sexual Content:  Very Heavy * (mostly by adults in a non-sensual way)

Profanity:  Mild but with made up curse words used heavily

Violence:  Heavy including somewhat detailed attempted rape

No comments: