Sunday, April 24, 2011

Forgive My Fins

Forgive My Fins
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books (An Imprint of HarperCollins)
Pages: 293
Read Time: Two Days
Rating (1-5): 4
Tag Words: Mermaids, soul mates, Princess, rivals, popular boys, first kisses, picking the right guy
My Summary:
Lily is part Mermaid Princess with a huge crush.
Brody is the boy of her dreams, she can feel it without a shadow of a doubt. He is everything she could possibly want, a swimmer, popular (great for when they rule the Seven Seas together!) and handsome. 
When Quince, her annoying gnat of a neighbor kisses her, sealing their bond of Mer-marriage, Lily’s tale is set spinning and she wants to make it right. The closer she gets to Quince the more “right” begins to look wrong. 
My Review:
I wasn’t planning to read this book until I won it as part of Best I’ve Read 2010. Why? I really have no clue. Forgive My Fins combines my very favorite things, we have mermaids, true love and an utterly original heroine. What isn’t there to love about all of that? I am so glad I won because this book was an Ocean Full of Fun! 
I enjoy a good, fun book from time to time and when you throw romance in I am all ears! Reading FMF was a blast and I love Quince, like, a lot. A lot. 
The book is a bit predictable, and yes, you will tire of Lily not FirguringItTheHeckOutAlready!!!! very soon, but the journey is worth it. 
I think the best aspect of this book was what a realistic crush Quince had on Lily. He acted like a little boy with a crush that quickly deepened and strongly developed when she began to return his affections. I loved that Quince wasn’t all I-Can’t-Breath-Without-You (even though he is the only character in one of these paranormal tails *ha, tails* that literally cannot breath without a mermaids help). It was a breath of fresh air to watch him deal with his human emotions and human love for Lily. Bravo, TLC!
I am not sure where TLC (Read: Tera Lynn Childs) is going with that epilogue, but you know I will be tuning in to find out! Fins are Forever comes out very soon! 
Notes on the Names: 
Her name is Waterlily!!!!! I LOVE it! Perfection right their, folks. It’s whimsy, Sea-inspired without being predictable, it has accessibility through the nickname. It is perfect. Brody, Quince, Capheira, Prithi and Dosinia are other notable, unique choices. 
Thoughts on the Cover:
It is very pretty and whimsy, again. I like the make-up very much. 

Parental Book Review *spoilers*
Sexual Content: 
Mild.
Kissing without much detail. 
Language: 
Mild.
D- 4
H- 8
B- 1
OMG- 6
Violence:
The mother died from a car-accident involving a drunk driver. 
Other Notables: 
None. 

No comments: