Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What Would Emma Do?

What Would Emma Do?
Author: Eileen Cook
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 307
Read Time: 4 days
Rating (1-5): 2.5
Tag Words: Girls, friends, small towns
My Summary:
In Emma’s tiny town there is a sudden out-break in the popular-girl world. They are all fainting, and no one knows who to blame first, but they all begin pointing fingers. Emma knows the truth, but she is afraid of speaking up. What will Emma do?
My review:
Okay, first of all- great writing, really funny banter, truly, if I didn’t have such a HUGE beef with the content I would love the book, but the plain truth is I have major problems with WWED.
Problem one and problem two are one in the same and can be boiled down to this: Because What Would Emma Do falsely advertises a story with the central plot revolving around a girl kissing her best friends boyfriend Cook was able to write an entire book bashing the stereotypical Christian into the ground. 
I am annoyed by the trend of falsely-advertised plots. I don’t get why this keeps happening, but more and more I see that the “central idea” becomes a muddy focus in the pursuit of a grander plot. 
I am sick to death of all the hate in YA of Jesus and of Christians, because the authors who always focus on the religion write from the perspective of the stereotype. It is beginning to grate on me how much hate goes around. The Christians I feel are worthy of books- Amy Carmichael, Sabina Wurmbrand, Corrie Ten Boom- to name a few, are nothing like these young “Christian’s” who make snarky comments and finally realize they don’t need God, or Jesus and that they are the prime of themselves without His help. 
I am tired of my religion being bashed to the ground by YA authors who don’t know what they are talking about; by authors who refuse to acknowledge that there are Christian’s who are not stereotypical, but are living for the glorification of Christ. 
Notes on the Names: Emma is very popular and a widely-used literary name, the most famous use being Jane Austen’s Emma. 
Thoughts on the Cover: It’s misleading, one and is it just me, or do the models look like they are in middle school? That was my thought before I even read the book.   

No comments: