Thursday, January 27, 2011

Because I Am Furniture

Because I am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas


Anke’s father is abusive to her brother and sister. But not to her. Because, to him, she is like furniture— not even worthy of the worst kind of attention. Then Anke makes the school volleyball team. She loves feeling her muscles after workouts, an ache that reminds her she is real. Even more, Anke loves the confidence that she gets from the sport. And as she learns to call for the ball on the court, she finds a voice she never knew she had. For the first time, Anke is making herself seen and heard, working toward the day she will be able to speak up loud enough to rescue everyone at home— including herself.

My Review:

This isn’t a book you can really like or dislike, you have to take it for what it is. Part of that means you have to accept that it was written in verse, which IMO, was not the right choice.

I really wanted to read this story, not breeze right by it because it’s in epic poetry format. I guess I wanted to know what it was like to be in the moment, not how it felt in such a detached way. That’s the main reason I didn’t hang onto this one, I felt so detached from the story that it didn’t hit me where I wanted it to.

I would like to see a novel written by Chaltas, I want to see what she would put into this format. She was consistent with the “furniture” theme, right to the end and I think it was a beautiful, though tragic metaphor that became a reality in the end.

I think this book really is inspiring and encouraging, though at times confusing and you keep wanting to feel more, you really want to be there, instead of far away, but I hope that Anke’s story will help many young girls to discover that they hold the key to being more than furniture. I hope someone I knew figures that out.

Thoughts on the cover: I love this cover, I just love this cover, ‘nuff said. I love the title too. Can I stress how greatly I wish this book had been in a novel format?!

Notes on the names: I found it so interesting that Anke talked about how her parents wanted something unique as a moniker for each of their children. What an interesting detail for this family.

No comments: