Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Best I've Read 2010 on The MPB

Hello to all Page Turners, and all Authors!
This is the Award Post for 2010 on the Mod Podge Bookshelf. The Messenger Photography original I am illustrating with can be used at any winner’s discretion, as long as you don’t break the legalese I have written for my company and my blog. (Follow the link)

All these books were read by me in 2010, but are not necessarily 2010 debuts (I read a ton of those too!)

I happened to read the entire Hunger Games series this year, so in order to have a diverse awards post, I’m pulling all three books out of the running. They would clean up, no contest. Katniss and The Hunger Games set a new bar for me, as far as “spectacular” goes.

You can see my full list of books I read this year Here, until January first.

The Characters of 2010

Favorite protagonist: Katniss…? No, can’t do it! In that case, Tally Youngblood, from the Uglies series wins!

Favorite Hero and Heroine (inspired by Jaz): (Katniss and Peeta) So we will be going with Katsa and Po both from Graceling by Kristin Cashore (funny, both couples are K+P!)

Character I most identified with: A tie, between Drea from Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly and Margaret ‘Maggie’ Bennett from Faithful by Janet Fox

Character I would read a spin-off novel for: Anastasia from After by Amy Efaw

Couple I would read a Spin-off novel for: Caleb and Lindsay from Winter Longing by Tricia Mills

Most Crush-worthy Male: Cabel Strummer from The Dream Catchers series by Lisa McMann

Least Crush-worthy Male: Nate and Todd from The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Favorite literary couple this year (inspired by Elise): Drea and Justin from Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly

Couple I most wish would break-up: Sarah and John from I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Series and Sequels

Best start to a series (inspired by Kapri): My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares

Favorite series completed in 2010: Dreamcatchers Series by Lisa McMann

Favorite series read in 2010: (Hunger Games) The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld

Book I won’t be reading the sequel to: Elixir by Hilary Duff

Book I wish would have a sequel: This is an honest-to-goodness tie between Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver and Sea by Heidi Kling

Favorite sequel read in 2010: Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Sequel I am most looking forward to in 2011: The Trust by Tom Dolby

The Hype

Book that lived up to the hype: The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson

Book I feel didn’t deserve the hype: If I Stay by Gayle Foreman

2010 debut that deserved more hype: Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James

Book I read in 2010 that deserves more hype: The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares

Me, Myself and My books

Book that had me laughing: Audrey, Wait! By Robin Benway

Book that had me crying: Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Book that got me interested in the history: Anastasia’s Secret by Susanne Dunlap

Book that made me want to fall in love: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Book that made me think: Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Book I now quote: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Book that gave me an education: After by Amy Efaw

Book I was most surprised to like: Adios, Nirvana by Conrad Wesselhoeft

Book I most want to read again: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Best in show!

Best Paranormal: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Best Contemporary: Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly

Best Mystery: All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab

Best Romance: Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

Best Dramatic Romance: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Best Historical Fiction: The Lacemaker and the Princess by Brubaker Bradley

Best Middle-Grade book: Princess For Hire by Lindsay Leavitt

Best Adventure: Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Best sci-fi: The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Best Dystopian: C’mon, Hunger Games HAS to win this one.

Best “issues” book: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Best Fey story: Wonderous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Best Supernatural: Stork by Wendy Delsol

Best Clean and Tasteful Book: The Clearing by Heather Davis

Best Classic read in 2010: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Best Unexpected ending (the following ‘bests’ inspired by PinkStuff) The Deadly Sister by Eliot Schrefer

Best love triangle: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin (in this case it’s a love square!)

Best unique plot: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Best book written in Verse: Identical by Ellen Hopkins

The Covers

Most Beautiful Model Cover: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Most beautiful non-model cover: Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Least favorite cover of 2010: The Last Full Measure by Ann Rinaldi

Cover that best fits it’s book: You by Charles Benoit

Cover that made no sense to me: Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James

Cover that goes a step beyond, to photographic genius: A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler

Cover I have the best idea how to re-do: Tell Me A Secret by Holly Cupala

Awarding the Names

Coolest Author Name: Gabrielle Zevin, author of Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (yeah, I’m biased, but I really love her name!)

Most original character name: Clea from Elixir by Hilary Duff

Name that best suits the character: Penelope Hayes from Rumors by Anna Godbersen

Name I wish I could change: Connelly from The Beautiful Between by Alyssa Sheinmel

Book full of bad name decisions: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Names like the perfect sibling set: Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson


Quote of 2010: A tie between “When the pain passes, that’s when you really lose people.” From the ARC of Lauren Oliver’s Delirium and “Sometimes, at night, I can feel your soul beside me.” From the ARC of Alexandra Adornetto’s Halo.



And finally, the Awards for Best Book Read in 2010, Favorite Debut Author book read 2010, and Favorite Author of 2010 go to:

Favorite book read in 2010: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson


Favorite Debut Author Book read in 2010: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson


Favorite Author of 2010: Lauren Oliver, author of Before I Fall and Delirium



Congrats to these winners, you have all been a special part of The Mod Podge Bookshelf this year!

1 comment:

PinkStuff28 said...

Nice list you have here...