Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Guest Blog with Author Toni de Palma


When 17 year old Cooper dies in an attempt to burn down his school, he finds himself in the afterlife. Lucy, the Devil's sister who has crossed party lines, decides to give Cooper another shot at heaven. The deal? Cooper returns to Earth and has to find a girl named Grace. The rest is up to him.
While Cooper figures out his mission, he's thrown into the life he's always wanted. Great parents, a spot on the Varsity football team and a real future are all within reach. But what he really wants is Grace, a feisty girl with an abusive boyfriend who can pound Cooper into pulp if he doesn't watch out.
While Lucy plays demonic-puppeteer, clues to an unknown past between Cooper and Grace start to unravel. Cooper discovers that what's keeping him and Grace apart is far more sinister than anything this bad boy could have ever imagined.

What are your favorite books decade to decade? Hear what Toni de Palma has to say!


I whole-heartedly believe that a book finds you when you are ready for it to speak to you. Here are the pivotal books that spoke to me at age 7, 17, 27, 37 and 47
7.


Beverly Cleary’s Ramona Quimby, Age 8. This book was important to me because my family had just moved to a new neighborhood where I didn’t know a soul. Ramona became my best friend because she was just like me; always getting into trouble.

17.


Cynthia Voigt’s, Dicey’s Song, caught me by the heart and never let go. The story about a young girl whose own dreams have to be put on hold because she has to take care of her younger siblings was what made me fall in love with YA literature when I was just a young adult myself.

27.



  Patricia McCormick’s, Sold and Nancy Farmer’s The House of the Scorpion are both favorites from this period of my life. As a stay-at-home mom both stories reminded me that a great big world existed outside my usual routine. Sold, about a young girl who is sold into sexual slavery by a male family member is told with beauty and hope. It made me weep. The House of the Scorpion, about cloning and its ramifications on life, is such an interesting premise that I recommend it to everyone. Both stories woke me up to the world in a different way and got me thinking.
  
37. 


Elizabeth Gilbert’s, Eat, Pray, Love about a woman who finds herself stuck in an unsatisfying relationship and then sets out on an adventure of self-discovery shook me out of my own stuckness. While my own marital relationship was fine, after raising my son and putting my own dreams on the back burner for a while, this book gave me courage to start exploring again.

47. 

This year, I turn 47 and I have to admit, I haven’t yet found the book that speaks to my heart. I’ve read some good ones, but nothing that knocks me off of my feet. Can you recommend the perfect birthday read?


BIO:


Toni De Palma is the author of The Devil’s Triangle, a paranormal YA and the first book in the Devil series. Her first middle grade novel, Under the Banyan Tree, was published in 2007 and selected as a Kirkus New Voices Pick and a New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age. Her second middle grade novel, Jeremy Owl, was published in 2010. Toni holds her MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College and she is a recipient of a New Jersey Arts Fellowship. She currently resides in New Jersey.
Find out about multi published author Toni De Palma at her site.

Find the book here:


No comments: