Friday, June 1, 2012

Interview with author Tracy Bilen



GC: Was What She Left Behind your first work of fiction?



TB: Yes, this is my first published novel, although I wrote two other manuscripts before this one. They were a great learning experience!

GC: What She Left Behind addresses abusive relationships with a suspenseful twist, what inspired you to write your book?

TB: The idea for What She Left Behind came from an image: of a girl, a suitcase, and a gun. I wanted to write a thriller, and the abusive relationship gave Sara, my main character, a strong reason for needing to leave home.

GC: What were you doing when you got the news from your agent?



TB: You know the expression “a watched pot never boils?” It was when I wasn’t expecting an e-mail that one arrived from my agent, letting me know that we had strong interest. I was getting ready to make dinner when I decided to check my e-mail really quick – and there it was!

GC: What has been your favorite part of being a debut author so far?

TB: One of the most exciting things for me was getting my title and cover art, which I found out about on the same day because they were trying to find a good title/image match and so were considering various titles. When I had the cover art, it really felt like this was going to be a book. Not to mention the fact that I love how the words hide behind the trees, a detail that my book trailer producer was able to take advantage of!

GC: What is next for you as a writer?

TB: I’m working on another YA thriller and hope to be able to share more details soon.

GC: Thank you, Tracy!

TB: My pleasure – thanks to you!


1 comment:

roxanne s. sukhan said...

This is an important issue and I'm glad YA authors are addressing it.