Saturday, April 7, 2012

Top Ten of 2012 (Thus-Far)

I thought it would be very cool to share with you my top ten as it changes over 2012, yes? 

At the end of last year I made all these vlogs and failed to include so many books, such as Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer, as a favorite debut of 2012. I kicked myself for that one for weeks. I kick myself for that one, still! 

So this will allow more books to shine and allow me a curve for my senior moments.

So from November 2011- February 2012:

10:

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows


Why? 

People fight dragons with sci-fi weaponry, need I say more?

9:

Blood Red Road by Moira Young


Why?

It should have been near impossible to captivate me with phonetic spelling, but I was hooked on page one.

8:

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson


Why: 

This ain't yo Mama's Peter Pan. No but, seriously, this book... it was a novel of magical realism told through the lens of an emotional contemp.

7:

Don't Breathe A Word by Holly Cupala


Why: 

This is the book I would recommend to you if you claimed to hate contemporary YA.

6:

The Disenchantments by Nina Lacour


Why:

Holy Novel, Batman!

5:

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore


Why?

Bitterblue splits the difference of this list and I feel it splits the difference between Graceling and Fire. It wasn't quite Graceling-esque, but it didn't feel Fire-y, either. Regardless if you understand my babblings, or not, you're right to anticipate this one.

4:

I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan


Why?

Because I still think about Bronwen and Jared. They would be the couple my love and I did stuff with all the time. Bronwen and I would be pregnant together and call the babies "twins." We would throw elaborate dinner parties and only invite each other. No, seriously, Erin McCahan wrote my best friend.

3:

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley


Why?

Cath is my spirit animal. She knows this.

I wish the following two could tie. They are completely different genres, but either could have come in at number one.

2:

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

 

Why?

Oh man, why not? This cover is no fool's gold, this here is the real deal, a beautiful cover for a wondrous novel. 

1:

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield


Why?

I learned at ALA that Julie Strauss-Gabel (that's John Green and Nina Lacour's editor, if you didn't know) edited this one and said it was the best debut she's ever read. I think I may agree. 

Precision point wording, a compelling story and imagery so vivid and raw you feel like you're suffocating alongside the two main character's.

I think I'll do this three more times over the year, as sort of a quarterly thing. 

No comments: