Saturday, December 3, 2011

2011 Author Wrap-Up with Chelsea Swiggett

What was the best book you've read all year? Tell me all about it!

CS: I Hah, CSI. Sorry, that was me, Gabrielle, back to the interview now would have to say Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's always been one of those 
cult books, like The Outsiders, where people make obscure line references. I 
finally read it and learned what "I feel infinite" means, and it now has an 
infinite place in my heart. 

What was your favorite thing you wrote?

CS: I just wrote this line about people who smirk that makes me all giddyhappy 
inside because I'm a smirker. And I feel like it's a club. Solidarity. But no, 
most of the time I write and I love it, but sometimes there's this kind of 
connection to my characters that's ethereal and I almost get a god complex 
because they are so real to me and there's this warm syrup pool in my stomach 
and I know that I just surpassed typing and genuinely created something. That's 
what I'm always after, that feeling.

What was your biggest writing struggle, and how did you overcome it?

CS: Self-doubt and not being inspired. I love writing, but sometimes there's this 
film between life and keyboard and I want to cross it. I want to pour life 
straight into my words, and when I'm not feeling inspired about life, it's hard 
to do that. So going to concerts, getting outside, traveling - it all helps me 
feel more alive and I think it makes my words feel that way too.

What can we expect from you in the new year?

CS: I'm finishing up my WIP hopefully by the end of 2011, so I'm going to work on 
querying that and also on starting this historical fiction that has absolutely 
no historical fact. It's like steampunk, where you reroute technology, except 
it's with history. I'm really excited to work on it, and to be done with the 
crazy year of writing that went into the contemporary fantasy I'm finishing now. 
My scenes tend to tangle themselves.

Write down your 'Writing Resolution of 2012!'

CS: Finish another book. I'm hoping to have this one every single year until my 
last. And I'm really hoping 2012 isn't the prophetic end-of-days, because that 
would be letting me off on my resolutions way too easily. But 2012 is going to 
be a crazy year, between editing and writing. I'm looking forward to it.


No comments: